Welcome

I hope to learn more about myself through this blog, as well as open a window of my life to the ones I love.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

La Promesa

So today my husband, Chevo got his Pasaporte. It was kind of exciting to see him so lit up. Maybe having it makes him feel more Mexican. We’ve talked a lot about how he has never been an adult in Mexico. He came here when he was 17 to Georgia first. That is where his uncle was working, and my husband started doing siding with him. “Un Saidero” Is what a person who does siding is called. Kind of silly. He really likes doing siding though. He is really good at it too. I love that he does something that he loves.

While we were waiting for his passport today, we went to have breakfast at McDonalds- my favorite. We talked a lot about when he leaves. He doesn’t like making plans. That is a typical Mexican trait. He also didn’t want to talk about details because he wants to leave things for us to talk about while he is gone. It makes me sad to think about this.

Chevo’s dad died last year August 31, 2010. It was between him and his brother, Carlos to decide which one of them went to Mexico. They both obviously wanted to go. However, they needed one to stay, to help the other one return. How did they make such an important decision? Basically because Carlos isn’t married and he had been away from their family more years they decided Carlos would go. They also based this decision on the fact that because Chevo and I are preparing to get his citizenship it would not be in his best interest to go home and risk not being able to come back. I was very grateful that he made such a big sacrifice. He made a promesa that he would return home on the anniversary of his father’s death. I respect my husband’s decision 100% that he goes home to Mexico for this occasion.  However, this kind of throws a wrench in our plans. You see, his appointment in Juarez will probably be scheduled in October. If he leaves for Mexico in August, we risk him being long over a year. At a recent appointment with our lawyer, she said it has changed from approximately 2-18 months down to 2-12 months out of the country assuming things go OK. I can get into this more in a different entry. The fact is, I don’t want him to be gone at all… let alone more than one year. I would like to hear what you think about that? It’s a hard decision to make. One that I don’t really feel like thinking about right now.


Spanish to English

Pasaporte- Passport
Saidero- Someone who does Siding
Promesa- Promise

No comments:

Post a Comment