I never knew my father. When I was young, I wrote tons of letters to him. It was more or less a hobby of mine. I even had quite the collection of stationary. I wonder if anyone these days does that? Anyway, I wrote to him all the time. One time I even asked my Mom to draw me a picture of what he looked like because I had never seen him.
One day when I was nine, I came home from school and my Mom had a big envelope for me from him. I was so excited. In it, he sent a few pictures and a post card. I was so excited to finally know what he looked like, and to see him for the first time.
I met him when I was 10, and again when I was 15. It was nice to meet him, but weird also because just seeing him these two time didn't constitute a relationship with him. Bittersweet I guess you could say. I do have two half brothers on his side. I guess when I was 15 they had just found out about me, even though I knew about them my whole life. I would even make up stories to my Mom about meeting them, and living with them, etc. Weird I know. I've heard that's common though. Because these two brothers of mine were adopted by their step-father I actually don't know how to contact them because I don't know what their last names are. Maybe I will find out one day.
Fast forward to the present. A few weeks ago, out of the blue I saw a message in Facebook that was sent two months prior from a woman friend of my Father's asking if I am, in fact his daughter. So we start talking via message. Turns out my Father had gotten a letter that I sent him last November and in conversation asked this woman if she could find me.
I talked to my husband about it a lot, and we both decided that whatever the motives or the reasoning behind it, we don't care. We are totally up to having my Father in our lives if he is willing. Life is way too short to hold a grudge. My husband's Dad actually died last year and he was younger than my Father is now. If my Father died tomorrow at least I knew he thought about me, and that he wondered about me. But how cool would it be if we talked, or met or he at least got to see pictures of me and my family?
His friend gave me his phone number yesterday. I haven't called him yet. I am still a little nervous... working up to it I guess you could say. I added his number to my contacts. It looks so weird to have "Dad" in my phone. I secretly love it. I have never been able to call anyone that. Knowing that my Dad is out there and that he reached out to me is so awesome. I guess only God knows where this is headed... but hopefully it is headed in the right direction.
What an amazing thing... I'm sure it is exciting and nervewracking!
ReplyDeleteGood luck sweetheart!